As architects and designers, we see our role as creating solutions that imagine and plan for a better, healthier, and more inclusive future for both people and the planet.
nettletontribe recognises the importance of environment design in creating a more regenerative built environment. To achieve this, we have implemented a Sustainability Action Plan (SAP) as part of an all-round approach to improving our studio’s sustainability performance.
The SAP serves as an actionable firm-wide strategy for developing business operational best practices and sustainable design best practices. It is also a measurable framework with a continual focus on evaluation, adaptation, and improvement.
The action plan will be a living document that will be reviewed annually and updated as appropriate. It is broken down into seven different sections:
Our commitment is to focus on achieving zero net carbon by 2030 across all our projects.
PRINCIPLES AND FRAMEWORK
– Raise awareness of the climate and biodiversity emergencies
– Advocate for faster change in our industry
– Establish mitigation principles for success
– Share our knowledge
– Evaluate all projects on their potential to contribute positively
– Upgrade existing buildings for reuse
– Include LCA, POE, and whole carbon modelling as part of project scope
– Adopt regenerative principles
– Collaborate closer with other professions and clients
– Accelerate the shift to low-carbon materials
DESIGN AND APPROACH
We have set 2 principal goals:
– Design for 100% carbon neutral by 2030.
– Ensure our thinking supports our values.
EVALUATION & REPORTING
We are committed to “Benchmarking Performance Outcomes”. Achieved through post-occupancy evaluations, energy, and carbon modelling.
OUTREACH & ADVOCACY
We intend to “drive industry change”. We have a responsibility to drive change by advocating a more sustainable future.
TRAINING AND EDUCATION
Our goals are:
– Leadership – we propose establishing a director of sustainability and sustainability champions for each office as well as making sustainability focused CPD’s a mandatory part of ongoing professional development.
– Promote curiosity – we want people invested in increasing their knowledge of sustainable practices.
OPERATIONS AND OUTLOOK
As a business we are committed to the following:
– Zero waste by 2030
– Net Positive Water Operations
– Carbon Neutral operations without offsets by 2030
– Conduct annual carbon footprint auditing of the business to confirm our credentials and commitments as well as identifying ways to further reduce our footprint.
– Continue to be certified carbon neutral.
– Cutting down on travel, paper printing, and equipment purchases as well as looking for ways to improve employee health and wellbeing.
nettletontribe encourages all colleagues & clients to embrace their commitment towards a sustainable future by joining them in working together towards positive necessary changes now!